INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE
The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mr. James Oppong-Boanuh is the head of the Ghana Police Service.
He has been the head of the Police Service since 14th August, 2019, when the President of Ghana so appointed him in accordance with the Constitution of Ghana.
Prior to this date, he acted as the IGP for a month, at a time when he was already serving as the Deputy IGP, a position he held from 25th September, 2018 prior to becoming the substantive IGP.
His policing career started from 1st August, 1988, when he was enlisted into the Service as a practicing Lawyer. He has held several command positions including serving as the:
- The Chief Staff Officer to the Inspector-General of Police (1990 – 1996)
- Director-General/Human Resources (10th Feb. 2006 – 14th Feb. 2007)
- Director-General/Welfare (15th Feb. 2006 – 3th Jan. 2007)
- Regional Commander/Brong Ahafo (1st Feb. 2008 – 3rd July, 2008)
- Regional Commander/Accra (4th July 2008 – 1st May 2009)
- Director-General/Legal and Prosecutions (20th 2009 -10th December 2012)
- Director-General/Police Professional Standards Bureau (11th December 2012 – 26th July 2013)
- Director-General/Services (27th March 2013 – 6th February 2017)
- Director-General/Administration (7th Feb. 2017 – 24th September 2018)
IGP Oppong-Boanuh also worked in the United Nations Mission in Mozambique (ONUMOZ) in 1994 and with the United Nations Transitional Authority in East Timor (UNTAET) from 2001 to 2002. From November 2004 to March 2005, he was appointed Deputy Commissioner of Police of the African Union Mission in Sudan (AMIS). During the period, he led an Advance Team to set up the Police component of the Mission from scratch. On August 19, 2010, he took up duties as Police Commissioner to the African Union – United Nations Mission in Darfur (UNAMID). He is celebrated for having facilitated the appointment of female officers into command positions of the Mission.
He is very knowledgeable. He has attended several professional courses and training programmes, both at home and abroad, including the Strategic Leadership Course at the Police Staff and Command College, Bramshell in the United Kingdom. He also holds a Masters in Human Rights from the University of Education, Winneba. Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Law and Political Science from the University of Ghana, Legon and was called to the Ghana Bar in 1984.
In the years 1977 and 1979, he obtained both his GCE Ordinary and Advanced Levels at the Dormaa Secondary School.
IGP Mr. James Oppong-Boanuh was born in 1958 at Aboabo No.1, Dormaa District in the Bono region. He is married with children.